In category management, manage the category structure of your shop and in Shopware 6 the categories are also used to organize the shop pages and the service menu.
To create Categories follow below steps:
Step 1: Login to admin panel and go to Catalogues -> Categories.
Overview of Categories
On the left side, you will find the category structure displayed as a drop-down menu. There you have the possibility to change the classification by dragging it; This is possible at each category level and you can also move a category to another category as a subcategory.
As mentioned at the beginning, categories are also used for footer navigation and the service menu. For clear administration, it can be useful to work with trees of two or three categories, as you can see in the screenshot above.
The context menu of the categories can be opened by clicking on the three-dot(…) button,
which will be used to execute further functions.
- New category before: Create a new category on the top of that selected category.
- New category after: Create a new category on the bottom of that selected category.
- New subcategory: Create a new subcategory of the selected category.
- Edit: To edit the selected category.
- Delete: To delete the selected categories.
Step 2: Click on New category after and enter the name of the category which you want to create.
- Name: Enter the name of the category.
- Category active: you can activate or deactivate the category by using the switch.
- Category type: Select the category type here, It will effect on the behavior of the category.
- Category: This is used for the standard category, for example, Product listing.
- Structuring element: This is used to structure the category tree; This category cannot be called, but only provides one menu item.
- Customizable link: Allows direct connection to a freely definable page.
- Tags: Here you can store keywords that can also be used in other areas of the program (for example, products, customers).
Layout assignment (only for the type Category)
Here you define the category style and assign a design created in the Shopping experiences. You can also use the Create new design button to go directly to the shopping experience editor (information on how to use the editor is available in the article on shopping experiences).
After assigning a layout, the Content tab is activated and you have the option to manage the content for the category.
In the menu settings, you can store additional category information, which can also be loaded directly into an element, for example, in the worlds of experience through data assignment.
- Hide in navigation: If you activate this button, the category can’t be displayed in the navigation bar of the store.
- Display Image: The image is displayed on the screen, in the drop-down menu, but it can also be integrated automatically through the elements of the shopping experience using data mapping.
- Description: Here you can enter a category description that will be useful to your customers to provide a direct description of the category. The description can also be integrated into shopping experiences through data mapping, without having to manually retain the text again.
By mapping products, you have the possibility to add products to the category. Products that have already been assigned to a category during creation are already displayed in the list.
In Shopware 6 you can assign items to each category level.
- Meta title: The meta title must not exceed 60 characters, otherwise, it could be truncated by search engines and the like.
- Meta description: Currently, the length of the meta description should be around 150-160 characters. If the description contains more than 160 characters, it can be truncated, for example, on the search results page.
- SEO keywords: In addition, you can define keywords. Currently not required for interval calculation
In the Canonical URL section, it is possible to define a separate canonical URL for each sales channel. To do this, first select a sales channel. Next, the SEO Path field will display the valid SEO path for the product, which is generated based on the SEO settings. If the product is assigned to multiple categories, you can also define the main category.
Customizable link (only for the type Customizable link)
If you have chosen a customizable link as category type, you can set a link here to an external or internal page. For example, it is possible to link directly from the navigation to an associated page.
After completing all the required field click on Save.