To make searching for specific products much easier for the customers, you can use product categories to better sort the content of your store and improve the user experience. You can create a root category in Magento and name it as you like although it comes with a default root category. At first, you need to login to the admin dashboard of your Magento 2 and navigate to Catalog →Categories to create it.
Root category can be created as follows:-
- Enable Category :- Enable/Disable the category.
- Include in the menu :- Yes/No (Select as your requirement).
- Name :- It includes the name of the category.
- Content:- In this dropdown upload your category image, Description & add CMS Block.
- Display Settings:- Select a display mode for the category.
- Search Engine Optimization:- In this section, you can add URL Key, Meta Title, Meta Keywords & Meta Description.
- Products in Category:- Here you can select products for this category.
- Design:- Here you can select a Theme for the category and layout and also schedule design updates.
At last , click on the save which is located at the top right corner of the page to save the changes and create the category. In order to create the subcategory for the new root category, first of all select the root category and click on the Add Subcategory button.